Minneapolis Farmers Market
If you have never been to the Minneapolis Farmers market, then you are missing out on an exciting treat. The main location for the market is East Lyndale Avenue, but there is another Farmers market at the Nicolette Mall in downtown Minneapolis and one in the Mill District all locations pull in a good crowd.
If you are planning to visit the Farmers market, there are a couple of ground rules to remember. Firstly, plan to get there early, preferably during the off-peak hours, and secondly, check around before you make your purchase. Don’t be in a hurry to buy from the first stall that has what you are looking for, chances are you will find it cheaper, if you just walk a little further.
The Lyndale Farmers market takes place during the summer months, with opening hours that run from 6am to 1pm. The Farmers market attracts over 100 vendors. However, the biggest turnout of vendors takes place on weekends. So the market really gets into full swing on Saturdays and Sundays. The Nicolette Mall Farmers market is open on Thursdays from 6am to 6pm. The Mill City Farmer’s market is open on Saturday’s 8am to 1pm.
Why visit the Farmers market?
- Go for the attractions. There is a lot to see, lots to taste, and lots to buy.
- Go for the fun. You will enjoy meeting some of the people that grow the food you eat. You are sure to learn a lot about food by talking with them, and they will be more than happy to answer your questions. The Farmers market is also a great place to people watch.
- Go for the great prices: The prices are the lowest you will find anywhere in the city.
Attractions at the Minneapolis Farmers market
Array of stalls filled with goodies:
- Fruits and vegetables: Fresh fruits and vegetables abound at the Farmers market, and many of them are locally grown organic options. The Farmers market has a wide selection of fruits depending on the season, including strawberries, blueberries, apples, raspberries, and melons. Vegetables include butternut squash, broccoli, snap peas, cabbage, zucchini, cucumbers, and cauliflower.
- Meats: There is always a variety of locally raised meat including pork, lamb, beef, poultry, seafood, as well as farm fresh eggs.
- Flowers: These include annuals and perennials such as roses, peonies, orchids, lilies, and dahlias.
- Herbs and Spices: Whatever the blend of spices you are looking for, you are sure to find it at the Farmers market.
- Cheeses: A variety of handcrafted cheeses and gourmet delights are on hand.
Not to be forgotten are the many other booths packed with baked items, clothing, jewelry, home furnishings, and crafts. You can also look forward to getting some free samples.
View Cooking Demonstrations: Look and learn how to prepare dishes using the products of the week.
Learn from the Master Gardeners: There are master gardeners on site with tips to help you in your home garden. It is also a wonderful opportunity to ask the experts about how to grow your own food.
If you are a first time visitor to the Minneapolis Farmers market, you are in for a delightful time. Not only will you find the usual market fare, but you are sure to stumble across some unusual offerings. There is something for everyone at the Farmers market, so it is a wonderful adventure that the entire family can enjoy.